Wednesday, April 14, 2010

THE DAM WILDFLOWERS

The Dam Wildflowers

The Sepulveda Dam surrounded by wildflowers. This view of the Dam reminds me of a battleship.

In the past few weeks driving past the Sepulveda Dam on the 405 and 101 freeways, I noticed that yellow wildflowers were in full bloom around the dam and surrounding basin. The head on view I wanted to photograph was too dangerous (it's only accessible by pulling onto the shoulder of the freeway and getting out and taking a photo), so instead I opted for walking up to the Dam from the 101 North freeway entrance that actually has a sidewalk. Along with the wildflowers, I encountered about a zillion foxtails - and I'm still pulling them out of my sneakers.

Once I got to the top of the Dam I saw an extraordinary view of the Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve that is on the backside.

Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve

To me these photos represent Valley beauty at it's best.

© Lydia Marcus 2010 / www.lydiamarcus.com
Photographed April 10, 2010 at the Sepulveda Dam in Encino / Van Nuys, CA

Sepulveda Dam photographed with a Nikon 55-200mm VR

No comments: