Saturday, November 7, 2009

A VERY GAY GALA

Last week I photographed the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s 38th Anniversary Gala and Auction at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza. I circulated around the silent auction and cocktail reception to take photos of the attendees and then took live shots of the famous presenters and award recipients during the show.

I shot the reception and silent auction with my Nikon D80, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 lens, off camera SB-800 flash and a Gary Fong Lightsphere, and used my 85mm f/1.4 lens during the show set at f/1.7, ISO 1250, and spot metering.

Here are my favorite shots from the evening:

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-648
Chelsea Handler, host of the show

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-641

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-559

Jay Leno, presented the Rand Schrader Distinguished Achievement Award to Wanda Sykes. Leno said of his talk show, ”We do jokes about pop culture and about fashion, but we never joke about human rights.”

Wanda has some great expressions!

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-616

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-610

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-326
Miss Coco Peru (aka Clinton Leupp), recipient of the Board of Directors Award.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-403
This shadow of Miss Coco Peru on the stage curtain is one of my favorite shots from the night. I love spotting photographic moments that other people probably wouldn't notice.

There was a great painting of Coco for sale at the silent auction and I waited awhile until I spotted some cute guys who I thought would look cute posing with the portrait.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-158

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-287
Zachary Quinto from "Star Trek" and "Heroes" presented Coco with her award. He was difficult to photograph because he was really serious and I kept waiting for a moment where he was smiling. This is the closest I got.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-425
Amber Riley from "Glee" performed.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-440
She had a great voice and personality.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-257
This is Lorri L. Jean, CEO of the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center. She's very approachable and nice and a TERRIFIC public speaker. She gave a very rousing speech where she described herself as a "patriot."

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-222
I thought she looked very pretty this evening as well.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-127
Lori, Chelsea, and Miss Coco.

During the cocktail reception, they had two sketch artists doing funny portraits of guests.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-115

I just loved this artist's jacket.
LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-105

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-98

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-160
These chairs were auction items. Instead of just shooting static shots of them, I asked two gals who were standing nearby if they would pose with them and they were happy to oblige.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-28
I asked this couple to pose with this auction painting because their clothing complimented the shot. Instead of taking a basic shot of the couple or a simple shot of the painting, putting these ingredients together made a more fun and visually appealing shot. The blue tie went with the tones in the painting and the red dress added a nice dollop of contrast.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-8
These photos were up for auction. On the left a portrait of Andy Warhol by Michael Childers. On the right a portrait of Grace Jones (I think possibly shot by Childers too). I would have loved to have bid on the Grace Jones photo but was just too busy shooting to do it.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-145
I asked to take a photo of these gentlemen because they were so darn good looking and dressed so elegantly in black tie.

LAGLC_Gala_LM_10-24-09-468
During the show, there was entertainment from this senior troup from The Center. They danced and sang their asses off and were a lot of fun to watch. When I grow up I want to be just like them!

Photo Credits: © Lydia Marcus 2009 / www.lydiamarcus.com
Photographed October 24, 2009 in Century City, CA
At the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s
38th Anniversary Gala and Auction

No comments: