Tuesday, October 14, 2008

DOUBLE HEADER

Sunday I had a big day. First I went to the Every Woman For Obama rally at UCLA, then to Valley Pride at the CBS Studio Center in Studio City.

I haven't decided whom I'm voting for yet (I really don't like ANY of the choices), so my reason for going to the Obama rally wasn't as a supporter but to see a free show that included two of my favorites stumping for Obama: Chelsea Handler and the rock band Heart. Also, I knew it would be a great opportunity for photos.

Heart played three songs: a cover of Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changing"; and two of their own hits "These Dreams" and "Barracuda," the latter Heart proclaimed they were "taking back" from the Republicans who had used it as Sarah Palin's theme without permission. Ann Wilson may be older and overweight but man can she STILL belt out her hits. I was really impressed. Patti La Belle also performed. Although I missed seeing her because I got there about a half hour into the event, I could still hear her distinct singing voice trailing outside the venue as I got near the door. I did get to see Jean Smart and Roseanna Arquette who made little speeches. Twelve year old performer Jamia Nash, the lead vocalist on the song "Raise It Up", which was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song from the movie August Rush, also sang and the little girl has a HUGE voice. She sang a stirring version of "America The Beautiful."

With the rally over around 3pm, unfortunately I only got to spend less than two hours at Valley Pride before it ended. The theme this year was gay marriage and boy there were a LOT of booths open that focused on the "business" of marriage. Photographers, limos, flower arrangers, decorators, ordained ministers - they were ALL there.

Here are some photos from my busy Sunday!

Every Woman For Obama:

The Obama rally was held at Pauly Pavilion on the UCLA campus. I was surprised how low the turnout was. The intention of the rally was to get voter registration and I guess drum up interest in Obama for women voters. I only found out about it the day before because Chelsea Handler announced it on her E show "Chelsea Lately." I guess it wasn't well promoted.

Chelsea Handler was funny as usual and man is she in shape! She's got a killer bod despite all the vodka.


This was my favorite sign from the rally.

I love this woman's intensity. And her sign is pretty cool too.




This Soccer Mama for Obama sign was my second favorite.


Nancy and Ann Wilson of Heart



Valley Pride:

CBS Studio Center - the location for Valley Pride.

Gay Polo players - I love their uniforms!

I thought this t-shirt was funny.

A table setting ready for a gay wedding.

S and Me.

No comments: