Thursday, August 28, 2008

THE LITTLE THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY

Ever since I bought my Sony T100 that uses a Memory Stick Duo card and I bought a Sandisk 4 gig SDHC card for my D40/D80 cameras, my life uploading images has been bothersome to say the least. The Sony card doesn't fit in my Lexar multi-card reader without first sticking into a separate Sony adapter. I'm constantly searching on my desk for the damn little adapter piece that manages to always get stuck in between papers, fall into my drawer, or worse, fall on the floor. In the case of my Sandisk SDHC card (the Ducati Edition from the Extreme line), the big selling point for me to buy the card was not only could it fit into my card reader but it also can fit in any USB port - theoretically making it twice as convenient to unload my images to a computer. But the rub is that my Lexar card reader (purchased at Walmart in January 2004 while on a road trip to Ruidoso, New Mexico) can't read the card. It has read other SDHC cards before so I don't know what the incompatibility issue is. So every time I want to use it, I have to turn my iMac around, unplug one of my USB devices, put the card in, turn the computer back, upload the images, turn the computer back around, take the card out, and turn my computer back to where it started. When you have to do this every single day it becomes really annoying. The idea behind the convenience of having the USB attachment on this Sandisk card isn't so you can't use it with your card reader, the idea is that if you find yourself at a computer that doesn't have a card reader, you can still upload images in a snap. But spinning my computer around day after day wasn't my idea of a snap. I couldn't take it anymore so I went to Fry's yesterday (the absolute worst place for customer service but the best place to find all your computer and electronics items under one roof) and bought a new card reader. Well finally I can breathe easier and upload images quickly and easily all from the same device! I selected a Sony 17 in 1 multi-card reader / writer because I figured it was probably the only reader that would let me use my tiny Memory Stick Duo card without having to use that damn adapter. It's also really nice and sleek and minimalist looking too. Even though Sony makes PC's, the design is very evocative of my nice aluminum iMac. I tried it out as soon as I got home and it works like a charm - the best part of all.

No comments: